NC Comic Con and how I'm now officially a comic artist.

Wow! Even though it was a really small Con, I had a great time. No, I didn't win the art contest, actually I didn't even place, but that's okay. I only had 1 hour to draw a really nice picture and I didn't finish in time. The piece I tried to draw was a bit overly-ambitious for one hour. Now for the exciting part...

While I was getting set up for the contest, which meant getting my supplies out as well as some reference sketches I had done, one of the guys running the contest looked at my reference drawing and said, "Dude, that is awesome! I want to buy it after this is over." I just stared at him in disbelief... I mean, it was just a sketch! So, I told him I'd go home and clean it up a bit and bring it back the next day. So I did.

When I arrived at the Con the next day I couldn't find him anywhere, so I wondered into the artist room to check out some cool original art and talk to the artists about their stuff. I saw that one artist had the same brush pen that I did and I struck up a conversation with him about it. Then, out of the blue, he asked to see the drawing I had tucked under my arm. I started to sweat and then I began saying a lot of "self-doubt"kinda talk. When I showed it to him his exact words were, "Whoa!" The two artists at the table next to him actually got out of their seats to check out my drawing! It was a great moment for me! He gave me some great feedback on my drawing and inking skills and we're going to keep in touch... he may even be reading this blog, (Hi Sanford!).

I finally found Patrick, my comic art patron, and he loved what I had done. He promptly paid me money for my work and went away a very satisfied customer.

Here is the piece that I drew for him. This was what I was trying to draw for the contest but only got halfway through it before the time was up.

brush, pen, and ink on bristol board
All in all, attending this small con was a great learning experience for me. I met a lot of really cool artists,   got to pick their brains and talk shop, received feedback on my work, and even sold a piece! I am totally stoked to get back in my studio and draw sas much as I can. 

I'll be posting another large one tomorrow which will include the characters I've done so far for the 30 Characters in 30 Days challenge so stay tuned!!




Comments

  1. Somehow I missed the last post completely, probably due to baby blindness. Cool deal at the con. Now that I've been to quite a few and talked to various artists, it's all the same weird deal. You're just as good/better than some of these folks. They just forked over the cash to get a table.

    Keep up the goodly work duder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and do a knock-off ROM character during the 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Next year, perhaps you and Robert can go in costume to top this year's success :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts