Ubuntu Education Fund

Ubuntu Education Fund is an organization that is working within the townships of Port Elizabeth, South Africa. I could go into their mission on what they stand for, but I feel they can do that much better than I can so please go to their website ubuntufund.org. All will wrap it up in a nutshell by saying they believe in investing in the community and bettering the health and education of the people in the township. 


This is the Ubuntu headquarters in Zwide, which is the area in the townships they serve. I was asked to come her and help them build their early childhood education program, specifically, their art program in the new school, as well as the after school services they provide for local students. 



To give you an idea of the conditions of the townships and the contrast of the Ubuntu building, this is an empty lot directly across the street from Ubuntu. There is no trash pick-up at the houses so people dump their trash in places like this. The city cleans it up after enough complaints are filed, or they just come and burn it. As you can imagine, this isn't the healthiest way of living. Ubuntu is trying to change that through education. 

I've been here for almost 2 weeks now and I am really enjoying doing this work. We are going to be starting our program next week and the teachers I am training are really excited! Stay tuned as I plan to update with more pictures; and please go check out what Ubuntu does. www.ubuntufund.org

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts