More from the easel...

Here's an update on the portrait of my grandfather. I still need to refine his shirt and his arms and hand. Other than that, it should be done soon.

step 3: refine the face, background, and chair

I also started an abstract piece. I enjoy using multiple layers to create non-representational abstracts. Here is the first layer. This is also a great way to use up any paint on my palette left-over from the portrait. 

Layer 1

To get the textures I applied the color with a palette knife and spread the paint in the directions I wanted. I then used a rag with some water to wipe away areas of paint, or used a dry piece of rag to burnish areas of paint to create texture. It's a lot of fun to do! Eventually I'll have about seven layers similar to this one built up on top of the one you see. Stay tuned!


Comments

  1. Beware browning out colors during your layer adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. The brown in there is actually burnt umber and not from a mix, but I get your point. I'm letting each layer dry so they don't mix and create that brown effect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts