Digital vs. Analog and "The Process"

I've been struggling lately with deciding whether to use traditional methods of image creation, to go strictly digital, or combine the two approaches. While I was considering this I was browsing through some of the sites I normally frequent and I came across an article about the three critical elements all professional artists need; Process, Style, Subject Matter. What a great article. (read it here) It helped me realize that it's okay to figure out my process, but if I want to see growth, I need to pick a process and run with it. 

So, I've made some decisions about my process that may affect the timeliness of my blog posts. These decisions are as follows: 

1. Even though I enjoy drawing digitally, I am not comfortable enough with the digital processes to create work I feel reflects my skill adequately. Therefore, I will not be doing any full and finished pieces digitally until I establish a VERY solid and consistant "analog" process. 

2. I love using pen & ink. I like using thin tech pens and pencils. My dad is a draftsman and I think having those tools always available growing up really influenced my drawing style. Most of what you will be seeing posted will either be done in pencil or ink. 

3. I stink at coloring. I do want to get better at it, but, as I stated before, that will have to come after my process is solid and ready to be expanded to include color. 

I'm still working out the kinks in my process, (i.e. what ink to use, what pens/pencils/leads do I enjoy the most, ease of use, etc.), but when I have a process established I'll share it with you. 

I will be trying and experimenting with digital pieces and some color pieces and post them on occasion, but the majority of my time and the posts of this blog will be pencil, pen, and ink drawings. 

That said, here is a digital pencil drawing I did today in SketchBook Pro. You will be seeing these occasionally when I don't have a pen or pencil... or a scanner available. Enjoy!




JPF

Comments

  1. I'm not sure I totally agree with that article you linked to and I'm worried that it could steer "new" artists into an odd direction:

    Deciding on your style.

    I think that the author is making some strange word choices and confusing "style" and "medium." He or she states that they chose oil painting as their style. That's not a style at all; simply a way of creating an image. A style is what sets an artist apart from another artist. How they work. How they lay their paint down or render a drawing. How they approach their image making. Style is not, "I use Photoshop to make my work."

    And past that, a style should be something that just happens as you progress as an artist. You shouldn't wake up one morning and say, "Today I think I'm going to draw like Mike Mignola."

    You may admire an artist. You my learn from them and see how they create images. Some of it may even rub off on you a little. However, as you continue to work, you develop your own style and you take all that learning, absorption and assimilation and come up with something new and different and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, there's nothing wrong with doing both digital and traditional work, Jason. Both inform the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say ONE informs the other. My bad.

    Also, if you "stink at coloring," do some more color work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts